Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Something To Think About

This is for all the families out there that have adopted or are considering adoption.  We are never really sure all our children have had to endure. 

As a matter of fact, it's really for all of us.  We all tend to judge people based on how they look, how they act, what kind of car they drive or house they live in.  The fact is, we can't judge anyone for any reason because we just don't know the story.  We're all guilty of it, even when we think we aren't.  The pain of others is usually invisible to our view, yet its effect can ripple through their lives, leaving heartache and loneliness that is impossible to comprehend.  Our judging only compounds the weight and depth of that pain.

This morning I received a sweet, personal email that literally left me speechless.  It was sent by one of my personal heroes, someone who has faced more than anyone I know and more than anyone should ever have to endure.  Though I don't know the details, I know the personal anguish this person has endured is real and unfathomable to most of us.  Through it all, this hero has remained faithful to the Lord...where many of us might have long ago cursed God and given up.


I do have permission to share this message, but will leave it anonymous.

I was reading your blog about Fathers day and how the children normally won't eat your snacks but this time they devoured them. When I was a kid I was hospitalized in a psychiatric unit. When people came to visit and gave me food or things I would always save them. We didn't have our own things only a cubby locked up that the nurses would let you get into based on good behavior. So I simply saved every thing for those special moments when I could piece a little and recall the comfort that the gift giver gave me. It was a way of feeling like I belonged somwhere. Those kids could be sharing those snacks or they keep them to remind themselves they belong with somebody. Its hard to be a kid and be alone in the world.

After reading this note this morning, we couldn't wait to give the kids the mini boxes of chocolates we've had since our trip in April as well as some Butterfinger bars.  We weren't going to because, after these last few days, it seemed that they didn't like the sweets and we figured the kids were just giving them away to other kids.  Then I read the message above.  I had a very different experience watching those mini boxes of chocolates, still unopened, go up the stairs in the arms of my kids after we said goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment